Thursday, September 17, 2009

Oregon Women Lead

Last night I attended an event in Salem for women interested in politics. I was blown away! Until recently I thought I'd be leaving the politics up to Bob, but lately I've been considering a number of positions. I am the Secretary of my local professional board and I think that through that and attending our neighborhood association meetings, I've learned that I want to be involved, I want to express new ideas and I want to make a bigger difference. So last night I mentioned serving on the Planning Commission - a non-elected position, but one where 7 men currently sit. The response was incredible, 'You need to meet this person...' 'Hi I'm so and so and are you involved in 'x' yet?' So I guess I have a little bit of work to do, but I am excited.

On another note, I'm applying for a national position with the AIA (American Institute of Architects, same organization I am the Secretary for the Salem Chapter). There I said it. Application is due tomorrow for the Young Architects Forum. I'm not sure I really have a chance, I took a big step without taking many small ones, but at least I'm still walking.

1 comment:

KDub said...

Way to go Leah! I'm so proud of you!!! Sending nothing but good thoughts your way!! :)