Monday, October 05, 2009

I've been promoted...

...To answering the phones. Yes, that is right I went to school for 5+ years, took 9 licensing exams, my state exam and LEED, all to get to answer the phones, prepare drawings that other people take to meetings and sit here bored. Now if I was getting paid better, maybe that would help. The thing is I can't fight it. My office has laid off 2 intern architects, 2 accounting staff and at least 4 contractors. Here is what I don't want to happen: I continue to be upset about my job so I give up, phone it in, give up my career for a family. Here is what I want: I want to love my job and my clients (I don't need to love my co-workers, but that would be a plus). I want to be torn between my work and my family instead of choosing one by default. Is that too much to want?

2 comments:

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

Oh girl that is not fun! I am so sorry! I got stuck answering phones at my last job too...then, strangely grew to love it. It was quieter there than at my old desk!

Hang in there...keep us posted!

Bob said...

Having a family does not mean you have to give up your career. The two can work hand in hand. You are a very intelligent person. Maybe a new door is opening up to you! Debi