Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Rant and Rave at the DMV

My fellow blog readers, you know how I lived and drove a car in Oregon for over 10 years before I moved to California for less than two. Two weeks ago I went to the DMV to get Oregon plates and a new license. I could only complete 1/2 of the task because I only had a passport and a CA driver license, but I was told to bring in my W-2 and it would be a breeze. I didn't need to fill out a form or retake a test because my Oregon License doesn't expire until 2010. So today I went back only to find out that starting today there is a new law, here is the form, the fee has doubled, and I have to take the test. Not only that, but I also have to take it before 4:30pm, and who knows how early I have to get there to do that! I asked why I was not informed of this 'new law' and was told that they didn't know about it when I was in last. I then asked how a law could be changed with less than 2 weeks notice and was told that they weren't notified of it and didn't know when it was changed. Do they know anything?? One lady said I had to retake the driving test even! Ridiculous!! I filled out a comment card, but I'm trying to find out who to call. Maybe if I wait a week they'll figure things out.

2 comments:

ktjane said...

oh yeah, that's bad. i was pretty irritated that i had to go back three times because they thought of something new i needed to bring each time. oh, and needing to have a utility bill with my address... hello! step into 2008 - everything is paperless - i didn't have an actual utility bill. urgh! they made me take the written test, too, but thankful not the driving test. yikes!

jakenapril said...

ah! adventures at the dmv...how horrible! i guess it's bst not to dig into the politics of spur-of-the-moment law changes and unawares employees who have to enforce the laws, but oh well. good luck on getting to drive in oregon again!!