Thursday, December 18, 2008

Am I a vegetarian?

A friend asked me recently if I was a vegetarian and at first my answer is always no. Bob calls me a convenient vegetarian, meaning that when it is convenient, I choose to not eat meat. Because the truth is, I just don't care for meat. My friend then commented that it was like saying someone doesn't like all vegetables when they are all so different and to that I couldn't really respond. Now that I have had a few days to think it over I think my dislike for meat is like someone saying they don't like jam. Sure there are different flavors, but the basic consistency is the same. I've also been thinking about which meats I like more than others because I will eat some things occasionally. Here is the list:
Any kind of fish or shellfish - love it!
Stew meat all soft and tender falling apart (from my parents')
Hamburgers (from my parents', I know I am spoiled) and there have to be nice toppings and condiments
Chicken Strips
Orange Chicken
Marinated Chicken
Sausages, BBQ/Grilled chicken or turkey ones
Bacon, pepperoni
Pork chop with Applesauce

But the truth is, no one should waste their favorite meat product on me. I am more than happy to eat side dishes!

1 comment:

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

I am the SAME way. I will eat meat if it is served but I never cook it, buy it, or order it.

(Live a year in China and you will avoid meat for awhile...ugh. Just TOO MUCH of it!)