Thursday, September 13, 2007

5 for 5

I have to admit, it feels really good. I was so happy all of last night after my mom called to tell me they got the letter on my 5th exam and it was a pass! This was the test I thought for sure I would fail the first time around. It was not my strong field in school. Thanks again to everyone for your support, thoughts, and prayers for each test. So I have one left to be graded (Lateral Forces) and three left to take (Pre Design, Site Planning, and Construction Documents). I hope to take two in October and one in November. I started this process in April, without such high hopes, and now that seems like so long ago! Thanks again everyone, I couldn't do it without you! And for those of you now wondering why my parents get the letter, here is the story. NCARB is the national accreditation board and they are notorious for losing track of people who move, change their name etc., so I have always left my address at their house, knowing that they were less likely to move than I was (since graduating and starting my record with them I have moved three times). Some people chose to have it sent to their offices, but I have had 3 different jobs since then also. So the letter goes to my parents and they call me. The first one was difficult because no one knew where to look for the pass or fail and they had to read the whole letter to me. The third test I took was actually my first multiple choice (there are 3 graphic exams and 6 multiple choice) and my dad called me with the results. I had felt so disappointed after taking the exam I was sure it was a fail and I asked him if he was lying to me. I told him it wasn't funny to joke around, I really didn't believe him. The likelihood of me passing all 9 on my first try is slim. The odds and statistics are against me. Of course it would be great, but I just want everyone to know what could be expected in the next 4 letters. At then end of all this I will have to take an open book test on Oregon's laws and then have an interview with the Oregon State Board. After that I'll get a license number and the precious rubber stamp! I will have another exam to take after this is all done though. I want to also become LEED certified (which stands for Leader in Energy and Environmental Design) but they tell you right away if you pass that exam or not. I would then get to add AIA, LEED after my name. The light at the end of the tunnel is a little brighter today.

2 comments:

ktjane said...

that is so cool, leah! keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congrats! That is wonderful news - keep it up!