Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Its not supposed to be

Every day we lose more young men and women fighting a war that we shouldn't be fighting. Most of the time I can turn my head or simply speak my disgust about it and our administration dragging us into it. But today I grieve. I found out that one of my former co-workers lost a son last week. I want to do something for her and even though I am sad and angry, nothing can compare to what they are feeling. It is times like this where I want to carry the weight of the world, I want to stop the genocide in Africa, I want there to be no more child soldiers, no more starving people, no more children without healthcare, but how can I, one small person with a regular job actually help. How many peace rallies, how many fundraisers can I attend? And it leaves me feeling pretty miserable, pretty worthless, because what does my job do to help anyone? And so today I will trudge on with a heavy heart for the world and a sad heart for my friend.

3 comments:

ktjane said...

leah, i know exactly how you feel. your heavy heart & deep compassion for injustice are rooted in the way god wired you. just remember that he has plans for each one of us and listen for that. together each of our small efforts will add up to great glory for him!

Leah said...

Thanks Katie!

Bob said...

I, too, was reminded of just what you are saying and feeling when I was interviewed by a student reporter for our school paper as to my reaction/thoughts about the travesty of 9-11. But what about all that is going on each day around the world. Pray! Pray! Pray! for what God would want me to do. Is that enough?