Thursday, January 24, 2008

The blogging wagon...

I almost fell off of it.
This week has thrown me for a little loop and I know we'll pull out of it, but it still stinks. I was laid off this week, just Tuesday afternoon in fact. So for the first time, I've filed for unemployment while I try to find another job. The market in California (for designers, engineers, contractors etc) is in really sad shape, so I am looking for jobs both in my field and out. The problem with that is I have very specific qualifications. I can't work in a coffee shop because I don't even know how to make it. I've never been a waitress so that is out, I have a degree (and almost my license) and I live in a college town with plenty of undergrads who are already trained for the non-specific jobs.

I walked in the door at home Tuesday night and Bob was typing away on his laptop. Without looking up he asked me how my day was, he then heard me set a box down on the floor and he knew what had happened. We knew last month this was a possibility, but it appeared that things were changing in the new year. I took it better than I did a month ago. I have sent out 4 applications so far and I am checking newspapers and websites daily (almost hourly).

So what else will I do to fill my hours? Maybe some cooking, some cleaning, reading, knitting, classes at the gym, or today I took Bob to campus and then went to the class he is a teaching assistant for "Ethics in Eating'. But looking for a job so far is a full time job itself. If you have any tips, or jobs for me, feel free to pass them along!

UPDATE: I got a call just before 5pm and I have an interview at 10am Friday, everyone think good thoughts :)

4 comments:

the rambler said...

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear about your news. Good luck with the job search & do lots of stuff to keep your spirits high. Ana

Bob said...

I'll do better than think good thoughts, I will be praying for you. Course, you probably knew that all along.

ktjane said...

yay! good luck with the interview this morning! i'll probably be joining you soon...

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

OH LEAH! I am sooo sorry!!!!!! Ugh. No FUN at all! Yuck.

You are sooo qualified, on so many levels - keep a high standard, girl!

Yes, looking for a job is a full-time task indeed. I work for an association that provides education to the staffing industry, and I highly recommend contacting a professional placement recruiting office. Sometimes smaller companies that do not have an HR department will contract a staffing company to do the searches for them, to find quality talent that they are searching for. Go to www.americanstaffing.net and click on Job Seekers, Find a Staffing Company, and enter your zip code to get started. I know you are going to find something really soon, and in the meantime - enjoy a little break!!

Keep us posted, ok? Hugs! I will be praying for you at 1pm my time, here on the East coast!