Thursday, November 15, 2007

Product Problems

I feel I must clarify something. Yes, I am concerned about the number of cases of cancer being on the rise, but that is not my main concern with ingredients in our lotions, gels, and shampoos. Yes, I am concerned about the potential damage to reproductive and other developing systems in children. But that is not my main issue either. The biggest problem I have is that we shouldn't have to worry at all. These ingredients should be regulated. I should be able to put on any kind of lip gloss, use any kind of lotion and wash with any kind of soap, without wondering if their are KNOWN toxins, without wondering if what goes down my shower drain is causing frogs to have 4 eyes and 6 legs, without wondering if what I use a normal every day basis is causing an employee in a manufacturing plant to expose themselves to poisons. If the UK and EU have regulations, why doesn't the US? Why is there lead in lipstick and kid's toys? Why are their petroleum based ingredients in face wash and make up? If you won't rub gas on your skin at the gas station, why would you wash with it or use lotion with it? My point is there are safer ingredients companies can use, so why aren't they using them, and more importantly, why are they allowed to use the harmful ones in the first place?

1 comment:

ktjane said...

i completely agree, leah. and up until very recently, i did think that products sold in the u.s. were safe. i just assume that by the time it makes it to the shelf it's been investigated. how crazy of me to think that my government would protect me from buying harmful things to put in or on my body without a warning, but once again we find that businesses have more power over laws than we do. money, money, money! it's like i know not to drink the water in mexico & to be careful of what i eat when i travel abroad, but no one ever told me that i should be worried about products here. i think it's an assumption made by most americans. and even when attention is brought to these issues it's hard as a consumer to even find good products.